1997 - One random place, one boy, one girl
David S. Santos, please meet Miss Girl-Upside-Down.
You won't know this yet, but she will be in your life for at least the next 12 years - yes, it is quite unbelievable, but it's the truth.
She will make you laugh
She will share your thoughts
She will provide timely advice
She will be a bearer of good and bad news
She will listen when you need a sympathetic ear
She will never judge you
She will need your wisdom and advice from time to time
She will be sometimes rather annoying
She may talk too much occasionally
She may ramble on frequently
She is a fiercely loyal friend.
As long as she considers you a good friend, she will never leave you and you will never be rid of her.
The two of you will go through many ups and downs in your own separate lives but she will need, and will cherish deeply, your support and love over the years.
Did you ever think that you will find a friend in one silly, quirky, slightly odd & a little bit weird Aussie chick who is really not quite all there sometimes, lingering around in your life for 12 whole years? Would you have gone through with the deal had you known what you were signing up for, Dave?
Perhaps not... but I'm glad you did because you may not realize the influence you have had in my life but I can tell you that I would be a different person now had I not met you way back when in random land.
I know I have been difficult sometimes, and you have been so incredibly patient with me during those times. I have a tendency to push people away, out of my life, for no apparently good reason but I am ever so grateful that you have somehow become resistant to that.
You may not remember this, but I was really glad to have you there when I was going through a really tough time with Mr Jerkface. I refused to tell you what happened then and I know it frustrated you but you sensed something was wrong.
You saw that I was a mess and you stayed to listen despite not knowing exactly what had happened or what you could do to help. Please believe me when I say that if I knew how to tell you I would not have hesitated. It was difficult for me and I didn't want to remember all the dreadful and awful things he did, and I didn't want you to worry. It was something I needed to forget. I wish I could forget.
I can never thank you enough for putting up with it. You had no idea what was going on but you still tried to help. For anyone else, it might have been easier to just let me wallow in self-pity but you didn't.
You were there when my life turned around the day I met Chris and enjoyed with me those young blissful years. You tried to offer solace when I was devastated after it ended so suddenly. At the time, I had wished for some big arms to wrap around me so I could hide from the world, but you told me that I can't hide forever no matter how hard I try... I cursed you for being right, but I still wanted that hug.
You saw me through university, then trying to find a job, and then jumping to another job, and yet more jobs... and put up with me teasing you for staying with the same employer for 15 years.
Despite time playing its toll and dragging us in very different and separate directions, somehow, like an older brother I had always wanted, you always manage to appear and offer much needed advice when I am at a crossroads in my life. I will admit now that I don't always take your advice on board, but I know you won't mind because, ultimately, to live a great life, one has to make mistakes and learn from them.
And I have made many many countless mistakes...
After 12 years, you still make me laugh, your words of wisdom can still make me cry and I can't believe you still remember how we first met and what I said to you back then.
It always makes my day when you bring it up. Thanks Dave!
Love,
Some random, quirky, chick from Oz
Monday, May 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment