Saturday, November 28, 2009

S-L-O-W-P-O-K-E

Remember, once upon a time you were so terrible, so uncoordinated, so unfit, so slow that nobody in school ever picked you to be on their team when playing cops and robbers or to be on their team when doing sports?

No?
Well, it must be just me then.

The thing is... I am just not built for exercise. I am not built for physical activity.
I am weak, I am uncoordinated, I am short, I am slow, I have a very tiny speck of a competitive streak (it does exist, but only just) -AND- I don't like to sweat.

So back in the day, I was always last to be chosen for any type of running game, I was always one of the last to arrive back in line when the teachers made the children run around the school as part of our daily exercise. I was always the first to be tagged when playing chasey in the school yard. I was slow - fully-stop.

For a number of years now, I do enjoy some irregular jogging around the neighbourhood whenever I feel the fatties succumbing my mind, and I enjoy jogging - on my own.

But now that I have to run with other people, and other people can run faster, and further and longer than I can, I find that I don't enjoy running so much anymore.
I find that I don't like being last, I don't like being bottom of the ladder. I don't like not being able to do something that I know I can and should do well.

My mind says I can do it, but my body tells a different story.
Why are they not in sync?
Why?

No comments: